Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Wiki Usage in Classroom

I have to say this has been the most fun exploring. I liked the Village Wiki and see possibilities for Northwood. As all the video clips expressed, Wiki is the "collaborative sharing of ideas!" It is a place that demonstrates respect for student work. Students enjoy creating and hand on activities but they don't like doing worksheets. I don't like correcting worksheets, but I think that putting information in Wiki form would be fun for students and teachers.

I am not into classroom newsletters but I was wondering whether a Wiki would be an appropriate way to express what is happening in the classroom, to invite parents to add comments or would that be too difficult to control?

Presently my 6th grade students are working in partnerships on creating scrapbooks relating to WWII. I could see them using Wiki to do this and I am thinking they would spend more time drawing on and including primary sources. Next year, my 5th graders will make an immigration scrapbook. I want to be able to use wikis to help my students engage more in authentic learning. Maybe we would even be able to collect comments from immigrants themselves.

I like Wikis. I wish I had time to create my own now. I may try over the summer.

1 comment:

Terri said...

I definitely agree with you that Wikis offer a fun way for kids to express their new learning. You mentioned using the wiki as a newsletter tool. I went on one class wiki that had a link to homework assignments and a link to a weekly podcast the teacher recorded with newsletter information. If you want to check it out their is a link to it on my blog in the Wiki post. The teacher's name is Mr. Lindsay. Good luck if you decide to create your own this summer.