Sunday, July 1, 2007

Assignment 10

Dr. Zhao has challenged my conservative thinking about using technology in the classroom. I have used the computer for research, scavenger hunts, games. I have not considered the global implications, and responsibility to encourage our students to communicate with learners in other cultures. At one point he asked us to "imagine what is possible" - I heard myself add "within restraints". I am still bound by tradition, yet I am unsettled by the realization that styles of learning must include digital learners. Unsettled because I am not one but I need to prepare to be a better teacher for and with my students who are!

I totally would like to see an online course designed for our students. A language course seems the most viable. I liked hearing about Dr. Zhao's Mandarin Game. I have used the Oregon Trail when teaching the westward movement. I have led my students through scavenger hunts during our study of Medieval Times. There is so much more to think about. I see that I limit how and what I want them to learn. Yet, I smiled when the video mentioned using cell phones
to complete a given assignment. It reminds me that we must provide meaningful homework to capture and engage the interests of our learners.

Dr. Zhao reminds us to believe in the power and creativity of our students. I do. He asks us to trust them. Perhaps it is myself or people who would use technology incorrectly that I do not trust. I feel I need to be savvy enough to help children respond to a global world.

3 comments:

Mrs. Boccuzzi-Reichert said...

There are so many implications, talk about a shift in educational trends and attitudes!

Educators are going to have to change their way of thinking to mee the demands of the digital world in order to prepare our students for the world. It seems everyday our world becomes smaller.

You talk about being traditional, but here you are taking this course and thinking of ways to change your teaching!

Mr. D. said...

Cheryl, I can relate to your challenge. I'm beginning to feel a cycle evolving: as soon as we start feeling comfortable integrating some technology, some new development emerges that put us on the edge of uncertainty, again. It is exciting to be on that edge...with our students...and I'm glad you are there too. We're slowly, and thankfully cautiously redefining what tech tools are traditional and acceptable.

There is value to the human connection that Dr. Zhao doesn't emphasize. We have the wisdom of experience that we offer our students (even if they are technologically smarter).

I really like how you described your changing role and how working through this course helps you to be better prepared.

Carol said...

I too thought I was doing well integrating computers and technology into my teaching. But after listening to Dr.Zhao, I have only scratched the surface with possibilities. The global impact that technology can have is unending. Students have so much knowledge about computers that we need to take advantage of and use for the benefit of all. This power and creativity of the students can take us (teachers) to a higher level of computer expertise. We must keep up with the digital learners we teach.